St Michael's Church, Castletown Geoghegan.
A little History
The designs for this church have been attributed to T. F. McNamara (1867-1947), a young architect at the time who later went on to become a prominent and prolific designer. McNamara also designed the Roman Catholic church in Kinnegad (1904-8) and completed the new Roman Catholic church in Ballynahowen (1895-1902) amongst other commissions in Westmeath. Indeed, this church is very similar in form and style to the later church at Kinnegad and shares many design features, including the paired window openings to the nave, the rock-faced masonry with ashlar trim and the offset tower with broached spire
Castletown Geoghegan St Michael’s is a a substantial church which dominates the skyline, built in the Gothic revival-style in 1885, cruciform plan, comprising five-bay nave, two-bay transepts to north and south, shallow apsidal chancel to the rear (west) and a four-stage tower on square-plan with broached spire.
Mosaic tiles to sanctuary were added 1925-7.